Sign up to be a member of the Pride Society of the Comox Valley
The Pride Society of the Comox Valley brings together members of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Two-Spirit community, their friends, allies, and supporters in celebration of the unique spirit and culture of the LGBTQ2+ community by producing quality, inclusive events such as the Pride Festival.
The Pride Society of the Comox Valley mission is to unite the community, be visible and celebrate diversity by organizing amazing events like the annual Pride Festival. Our work relies on the input of an active member base who represent the diversity of our community in the Comox Valley.
As a member, you can vote at the Annual General Meeting and run for a position on the Board of Directors. Sign up today and add your voice!
Eligibility for Membership
The Members are the applicants for the Pride Society of the Comox Valley, and those persons and organization who subsequently have become Members. All subsequent applicants for membership who have met the criteria set within these bylaws shall be called a Member except for those who cease to be a Member under the clauses set within these bylaws.
A person or organization may apply to the Pride Society of the Comox Valley for membership and on acceptance by the Directors shall become a Member.
Every Member shall uphold the constitution of the Pride Society of the Comox Valley and comply with these bylaws and all laws of British Columbia and the Government of Canada which govern the Pride Society of the Comox Valley.
There are two categories of membership:
a. Individual Members, and organization.
An organization that has joined the Pride Society of the Comox Valley shall appoint one representative for the purpose of voting at an Special General Meeting (“SGM”) or an Annual General Meeting (“AGM”). The representative shall provide an authenticating letter from the organization upon registration.
The initial membership dues shall be determined by the Directors and subsequent membership dues shall be determined at the AGM of the Pride Society of the Comox Valley by an ordinary motion.
A person shall cease to be a Member of the Pride Society of the Comox Valley.
- a. by delivering his resignation in writing to the Secretary of the Society or by mailing or delivering it to the Pride Society of the Comox Valley Registered Address, corporation, upon dissolution
- b. upon death
- c. upon being expelled
A Member may be expelled by a special resolution of the Members passed at an AGM or SGM.
- a. the notice of special resolution accompanied by a brief statement of the reason or reasons for the proposed expulsion
- b. the person or organization who is the subject of the proposed resolution for expulsion shall be given an opportunity to be heard at the AGM or SGM before the vote is called on the special resolution
- c. all expulsions are for a period of 3 years from the date of expulsion after which said person or organization may apply for membership with the Pride Society of the Comox Valley.
All Members are Members in Good Standing except:
- a. a Member who has failed to pay their current annual membership dues
- b. where a Member owes a debt to the Pride Society of the Comox Valley which has been outstanding for greater than 30 days, the Member is not in good standing
- c. a Member not in Good Standing for one current annual shall be struck from the Registry of Members; and barred from membership so long as the debt is owing
- d. a Member not in Good Standing who settles the outstanding debt with the Pride Society of the Comox Valley is then considered a Member in Good Standing
- e. a Member not in Good Standing that have paid their debt 29 days prior to a AGM or SGM are ineligible to vo
With the exception of a Member who has been expelled from the Pride Society of the Comox Valley, any Member whose membership has ceased and all outstanding debts have been settled may immediately reapply to become a Member of the Pride Society of the Comox Valley after all outstanding debts have been settled.